Friday, September 24, 2010

Peter's Advice: "Write Down the Good!" An attitude of gratitude...... :)

You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought is one of my favourite books of all time. There are so many poignant points packed into each page, here is just one.

On page 181, Peter advises us to  Write Down the Good. Keep a journal...the good things you have to be grateful for each day, and the good that you do for others.

This one piece of advice has transformed my everyday life in so many ways. Here's the real challenge, at least for me! Write down a list ESPECIALLY when you're down, angry, stressed. It's so easy to be thankful when our days unfold before us like ruby roses.  But on darker days, this depression buster really works for me. I  always tell myself five things down a day since it's much more manageable. Then I find that it's easy to keep going!  When I ride in a car, along with my friends, I ask them what five things they are grateful for on that day. At first, they wanted to clobber me for being such a well-spring of bubbling positivity. I also noticed it took forever for them to come up with things. But not anymore.
 
Since I hope I walk the walk, here is my list for today. It's a little bit verbose. :)
 
1.  Riding my bicycle last night, underneath the glowing moon..riding down that huge hill at 30 mph, felt like I had wings.


2. Peter's Mom's phone call. Whenever she calls, it's a combination of Spring/Summer/Fall,  all rolled into one. I leave out Winter because she's never cold.


3. Calling up the corporate headquarters of a company to commend a couple of their employees, and even the woman who answered the phone. :) 


4. The fact that in this horrid economy, I have a job, a good one, that I get to do, my music, and I can help to help peoples' days brighten a little.

5. The pizza that Andy made, it was so scrumptious! MMMMM!

6. Ran a marathon on Sunday! :) Even when doctors told me I couldn't! 


7. The support I get from my online friends


So what is your list? Feel free to share if you'd like :) Or just jot it down to yourself. Either way, try it, and I hope it works for you as well as it has for me!
Thank you Peter McWilliams!


note: "You Can't Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought" is still available, in print, and AWESOME! :)

4 comments:

  1. I agree it's very helpful, when something or someone gets you down or makes you angry. Helps to dissipate the anger and gives you something to think about. Most negative thoughts can only hurt you. Good ones make you feel better (that's so obvious), I am not sure I can come up with as many as you did,

    1. I have a pretty good job interacting with mostly wonderful customers.

    2. I enjoy working with positive co-workers.

    3. I found a wonderful CD by one of my favorite bands from the 70s (Yes).

    4. I enjoyed a Corona with a wedge of lime.

    5. Being able to find replacement ear pads for headphones so I can listen to my new CD.

    6. Wonderful conversation I had with Peter's Mom

    7. A great dinner I had at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome idea and great to implement!
    Here's mine for the 2nd time--1st one got lost or erased...?

    1. The Life of a Writer--Love it, love it, love it!
    2. Good food and friends
    3. Positive people in my life
    4. Simple pleasures--bubble baths, Jazz music, herbal tea
    5. Shopping @ the local thrift store--cheap, relaxing, guilt free
    6. A spiritual foundation
    7. My home
    8. My health
    9. My mom and family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks J. Charles and Jen; lovely lovely lists!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen I love your list, including the bubble baths. (Peter actually recommended baths over showers!)

    Today I am not so "up." So I will write a list now.

    1. Eating bad, fatty food. YUM YUM YUM
    2 The supportive messages I've been receiving!
    3. Rainy days.
    4. My friend helping me on a project.
    5. My cute teddy bears.
    6. My Baltimore Ravens' win yesterday.
    7. Running a Marathon two Sundays ago!

    ReplyDelete